Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

This is ***** *****, I have Poulan Pro PR241 that is not…

Customer Question
This is ***** *****...

This is ***** *****, I have Poulan Pro PR241 that is not starting It was running fine for an hour and suddenly stopped working

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

This is the third time I use this snow thrower, get new oil, gas, etc... it just stopped working all of then sudden and now I cant start it at all

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
1/23/2016
Technician: Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician replied 2 years ago
Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

Is your gas can stored in a shed etc ? ,

Got gas yesterday and it is stored in garage

Ok , when you prime it can you hear the gas getting to the carburetor ? They usually make a little bit of noise etc

The reason I'm asking is because a engine needs spark, fuel and compression to run . If it died suddenly in use you have lost one of these things , does it still have the same resistance when pulling the rope to start it ?

Pulling does have some resistance. I also tried electric start w no result

Ok I'm just trying to make sure the connecting rod didn't break , if it did it would be very easy to turn over and have little to no resistance

It should have a safety key that keeps it running it's a red plastic thing that's in right ?

safety key is inserted

Ok , I know if your like us in Maryland your in some pretty good snow so going to get a spark tester is most likely impossible right now . Have you tried draining the carburetor bowl some , if you can locate the carburetor bowl and loosen the bolt 1 turn or so till gas dribbles out , let it drain a few seconds etc then retighten

Is there possible that something might have gotten loose?

Well we need to narrow down if it's spark , fuel or compression , if we could test spark ir wold answer alot , if you could get to the opening of the carburetor and get a tad of gas in it and see if it will fire up off that

I did open carburetor and drained it out. I also looked in the carburetor bowl whether there was some residue and it looks clean.
How do I get spark in carburetor? Do I need to open it?

No we would need to test spark at the plug , make sure the coil is putting out spark ,

Is it normal gas is leaking from carburetor when I tilt the snow thrower?

Depends on how far your tilting it , can you check the oil and see if it smells like gas ?

Earlier today the oil smelled like gas and I changed the oil

Ok that means your carburetor is leaking gas in the crankcase

It's not good because if it ran like that it could of blown the motor up , can you remove the spark plug and put a long screwdriver down in the hole and pull it slowly and see if it moves up and down ?

I got the spark plug out and how do I test w the screwdriver I'm not clear on that. Which hole? Engine hole or cable where spark plug connected to?

Put a long screwdriver down in the hole the spark plug goes in and pull it slowly and see if the screwdriver goes up and down

No don't seethst
No don't see that

Ok can you look in there to see if the piston is moving up and down , you should get a nice push of air out of the spark plug hole if not the connecting rod sounds broken

I cleaned the spark plug, tested it, saw some fire (spark)z. Re- started the engine and it ran but the muffler got pretty red and I stopped. What caused the muffler so hot?
I meant the engine stopped

Ok does the oil still smell like gas ? , don't run it if it does , the valves h could be overheating because there gas mixed in the oil . You need to pull the carburetor and clean it and the needle etc . To test the carburetor when you flip it upside down you should not be able to blow into the part the fuel line hooks to , if you can the needle isn't seating with the inlet valve