Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

This is ***** *****, I have Poulan Pro PR241 that is not

Customer Question

Customer: this is ***** *****, I have Poulan Pro PR241 that is not starting It was running fine for an hour and suddenly stopped working
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: This is the third time I use this snow thrower, get new oil, gas, etc... it just stopped working all of then sudden and now I cant start it at all
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Is your gas can stored in a shed etc ? ,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got gas yesterday and it is stored in garage
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok , when you prime it can you hear the gas getting to the carburetor ? They usually make a little bit of noise etc

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

The reason I'm asking is because a engine needs spark, fuel and compression to run . If it died suddenly in use you have lost one of these things , does it still have the same resistance when pulling the rope to start it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pulling does have some resistance. I also tried electric start w no result
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok I'm just trying to make sure the connecting rod didn't break , if it did it would be very easy to turn over and have little to no resistance

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

It should have a safety key that keeps it running it's a red plastic thing that's in right ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
safety key is inserted
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok , I know if your like us in Maryland your in some pretty good snow so going to get a spark tester is most likely impossible right now . Have you tried draining the carburetor bowl some , if you can locate the carburetor bowl and loosen the bolt 1 turn or so till gas dribbles out , let it drain a few seconds etc then retighten

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there possible that something might have gotten loose?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Well we need to narrow down if it's spark , fuel or compression , if we could test spark ir wold answer alot , if you could get to the opening of the carburetor and get a tad of gas in it and see if it will fire up off that

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did open carburetor and drained it out. I also looked in the carburetor bowl whether there was some residue and it looks clean.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I get spark in carburetor? Do I need to open it?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

No we would need to test spark at the plug , make sure the coil is putting out spark ,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it normal gas is leaking from carburetor when I tilt the snow thrower?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Depends on how far your tilting it , can you check the oil and see if it smells like gas ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Earlier today the oil smelled like gas and I changed the oil
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok that means your carburetor is leaking gas in the crankcase

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

It's not good because if it ran like that it could of blown the motor up , can you remove the spark plug and put a long screwdriver down in the hole and pull it slowly and see if it moves up and down ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got the spark plug out and how do I test w the screwdriver I'm not clear on that. Which hole? Engine hole or cable where spark plug connected to?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Put a long screwdriver down in the hole the spark plug goes in and pull it slowly and see if the screwdriver goes up and down

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No don't seethst
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No don't see that
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok can you look in there to see if the piston is moving up and down , you should get a nice push of air out of the spark plug hole if not the connecting rod sounds broken

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cleaned the spark plug, tested it, saw some fire (spark)z. Re- started the engine and it ran but the muffler got pretty red and I stopped. What caused the muffler so hot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant the engine stopped
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok does the oil still smell like gas ? , don't run it if it does , the valves h could be overheating because there gas mixed in the oil . You need to pull the carburetor and clean it and the needle etc . To test the carburetor when you flip it upside down you should not be able to blow into the part the fuel line hooks to , if you can the needle isn't seating with the inlet valve