Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I was plowing snow and before I totally release the parking…

Customer Question
I was plowing snow and...
I was plowing snow and before I totally release the parking brake I hit the gas and locked up the gears can't go forward or back what do I do
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
1/23/2016
Technician: Vince O., Small Engine Technician replied 2 years ago
Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician

Hello, check to see if it threw a belt off and jammed. Lift the seat to remove the battery to look at transmission and fan.

I have a craftsman Yt 4000 the only thing you see when you lift up my seat is the gas tank
CanMove brake release pedal or forward or reverse pedal

Have you had a look under the chassis to see if belt came off a pulley and is jammed?

The only belt I have is for the deck and the deck is off
Belts on but very loose

Can you see the transmission pulley? It might of came off it. Inspect the plastic fan to make sure the blades aren't damaged.

Can't get to it right now the gas tanks there you can't help me I'm in the middle of a blizzard

You may have to crawl underneath to look. The drive belt should not be real loose. I can opt out if you wish

Don't understand what you mean you can opt out
I only have a carport I can't go out there right now to tear everything apart the only way that I can look at that plastic fan and pulley as if I take the gas tank off and it's getting dark right now is still snowing so I'm screwed

I understand that but you may need to investigate to find the source. I can opt out to allow others to try to help you

Ok

Were you able to look underneath to see if belt was off tranny pulley?

I think the problem is because the engine will start I believe the parking brake is jammed up and III cant on Jan I can't release the parking brake

My theory is the belt could have jumped off and is under the tranny pulley creating the slack in the belt and tractor not moving. Unless you can jack it up and safely have a look you and me are guessing. If we can't verify if the belt is on the tranny I can not help you, sorry.