Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I'm having trouble starting my Generator it model is gp5500…

Customer Question
I'm having trouble starting my...
I'm having trouble starting my Generator it model is gp5500
It only has 7 hrs on it it has started plenty of times since I bought it
It has gas with stabilizer in it
I tried using starter fluid last time and it took me 25 minutes and almost a full can of starter fluid, it back fired 2 but it started. I was gonna try the same thing today if needed, but do you think there is an easier fix. Spark plug if giving charge. I have not changed the oil in 3 years, but since it has not been used so much I thought it didn't need to.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
1/23/2016
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Remove the spark plug and put a teaspoon of fuel direct into the spark plug hole, re-install the park pug and see if it will fire. If it does , the carburetor is not letting fuel in. Check fuel to carburetor them drain the fuel bowl to check for water.

Ok I will try
If this doesn't work how do I respond back?

You can leave question open, or there will be link in email to get back.

Ok it started right up then stopped
I'm assuming no gas through carb
How can I address that or do I need to replace it?

Try draining the carburetor float bowl.It may have water in it, be sure you have fuel to the carb from the tank! Here is basic carburetor disassembly. Yours will be similar.

Ok carb was fine drained existing fuel and put fresh fuel
Still won't turn over 10-12 pulls
I removed carb and the part that it was attached to (don't know name) nothing looked odd

Was carb bowl full of fuel?

When I removed all I looked inside with a flashlight and there was fuel in there. It didn't go any further. I'm not sure what parts and names are ***** ***** point me being a novice

If fuel is getting to carb, and none to the cylinder, has to be blockage in the carburetor. We know engine runs if you put fuel into the cylinder. Main jet, which is the bowl bolt and the center stud , it screws into ,can be plugged with dirt or debris.???

That looked clear and clean

If you hold hand over carburetor throat, do you get good suction? If not, mounting gasket could be leaking. Some reason fuel is not being sucked into the cylinder.

I have see if I can
Can that be done with tank off? I had to to get at carb

Yes, you just want to know if it sucks, not trying to start it.

Ok. Will try.

OK, if it sucks, it should pull fuel in.

Just to be clear
I remove the carb again
Then cover the opening and try to start?

No, cover the carburetor opening, you want it in place,

Oh
By the air filter and choke?

Yes.

Ok. Will let you know

OK

I do feel suction
I can't get completely flat over the opening, but I feel air being pulled in
I'm gonna remove the carb again
Can I send pics on this site?

Use the paperclip icon above the typing bar.

Ok I'm a little frustrated
Carb has gas &
Suction
The opening had gas sitting in it after removing carb
I pulled the rope it opened and the fuel went inside engine

OK< is the mounting gasket between carb and opening good? Will it seal?

I removed and cleaned it its in good shape

Try it again, this time choking it , till it trys to start, then take choke off.

Ok

Let me know.

It's backfiring but it won't turnover
almost does feels like it wants to
You still there??

Sorry, I have a Kubota I was trying to get together, Backfiring? As through the carburetor? If it sounded alright when you did the gas in cylinder test, it should run. If it didn't, then I would think the valves could need to be checked, or it was out of time. But if it runs, that means it has to be fuel problem. You may have to get a new carb!