Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 2012 &S portable generator model6250. i'm guilty of

Customer Question

hi guys, i have a 2012 B&S portable generator model(###) ###-####6250. i'm guilty of letting it sit in basement for 2 yrs without starting. but did drain most of the gas. won't start today. with new gas. oil level was high so drained some out. now oil is just below full. fuel line is "on/open". ignition switch is on. pulled spark plug - sanded contacts...appears clean/no oil or carbon residue...i don't have a gap tool but the spread is pretty close. air filter is clean. (this unit has only run 1 hour since 2012). Whether full choke, half choke, no choke...nothing changes. just won't start...not even a "cough".
any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

What if you remove the air filter and spray a little bit of carburetor cleaner or fuel directly into the throat of the carburetor. Will it start then?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thx john, its basically a brand new generator with only 1 hour on it so carb is crystal clean, so are filters. but i did just try carb cleaner spray...no start...but it at least turned over when fully sprayed...but one turn and dies. and the one turn only happens with full choke
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i didn't "push open" the carb tab with a pen though..just sprayed over the throat. would it be worth trying to open the throat and spray inside
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Since you are telling me that it at least fired like it wanted to start and run when you sprayed the carburetor cleaner in it this tells me that you are not getting fuel through the jets on the carburetor. Machine being new with one hour of run on it can be an issue especially if fuel was left in the carburetor. I am going to recommend a thorough cleaning of the carburetor jets. If you continued to spray carburetor cleaner in the throat of the carburetor would the engine continue to run?