Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I'm having trouble starting my Toro 518ZE snowblower.
,

Customer Question
I'm having trouble starting...

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Full tank. Oil is at the right level. I press the primer, get maybe 2 seconds of engine and then it stops It feels like I'm getting a spark and it's using the fuel from the primer but not getting fuel from the fuel line. Does that make sense?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
1/22/2016
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 2 years ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. I am Donald. I will be happy to assist you.

I would like to ask you a troubleshooting question.

Did you drain your fuel tank, and your carburetor, at the end of the last snow season?

Based upon the symptoms you are describing, you have a partially clogged jet inside your carburetor. Are you familiar with removing your fuel bowl?

If so, remove your fuel bowl and clean it, and the underside of your carburetor. Use a small wire and some carburetor cleaner in a can, to clean every small hole you see. You can use a twist tie from a loaf of bread, to clean the holes. Just remove the outer coating from it.

Follow up with some compressed air, if you have an air compressor. You and I can continue from here. Thanks!