Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

MY Name is ***** *****. I'm having trouble starting my

Customer Question
MY Name is *****...

MY Name is ***** *****. I'm having trouble starting my Honeywell 5500 generator and we have a major blizzard approaching. It doesn't seem to produce a spark as nothing happens when I spray starter fluid in the air intake. Could this mean the low oil shut off is preventing start?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I'm having trouble starting my Honeywell 5500 generator and we have a major blizzard approaching. It doesn't seem to produce a spark as nothing happens when I spray starter fluid in the air intake. Could this mean the low oil shut off is preventing start?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
1/22/2016
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 2 years ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Yes, it could be that the low oil sensor is keeping it from firing. I assume that you have checked the oil level and made certain that the engine is full. The switch is turned on. If it won't start even with starting fluid sprayed directly into the throat of the carburetor and you have verified that there is no spark at the spark plug. You can bypass the oil sensor by just unplugging it from the wiring o the right side of the engine, it is normally a small yellow wire coming out of the side of the engine block and going up to the switch.