Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I am trying to start a generac 5500 generator that has been…

Customer Question
I am trying to start...
I am trying to start a generac 5500 generator that has been idle for about 2years. I drained out almost all the old gas and put new in and it won't start.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
1/22/2016
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 2 years ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Did you also drain the fuel out of the carburetor?

No. Don't know how to do that
New to owning a generator.

You will need to if it has been in there for two years, you are probably even going to have to clean the jets in the carburetor if it has had fuel sitting in it all this time. All you need to do is remove the bowl from the bottom of the carburetor and drain the fuel from it, while you have it off it would be a good time to clean the jets before you put it all back together.

how do I clean the jets??
Will I need to add more oil? There is nothing on the stick I can see

Yes, if there is nothing on the stick then I would definitely want to fill it to the full mark prior to starting it. As a matter of fact you might want to do that before you do anything else and see if it will start. Most of these machines have a low oil shutdown on them that will not allow the ignition to fire if the oil level is low. You might just start there and see if once you get the oil filled to the proper level if it will start. If not then I would continue on to cleaning the carburetor.

how do I get to the carburator.

The carburetor will be on the left side of the engine when you are looking at the front or pull start assembly on the engine. You should be able to go just behind the air filter assembly and remove the carburetor bowl which will give you access to the jets that are inside the stem that the bolt threads into that holds the bowl on. You can remove the jet with a flat tip screwdriver and clean the holes in it as well as the fuel nozzle that is just above the jet which will most likely fall out when you take the jet out.

Does the manual possibly show this???

I doubt that the owners manual would show this. It is included in the service manual but you would have to be an authorized dealer in order to have access to it. Let me see if I can find you a video showing this.

Ty. New to small engine work. Not my specialty.

Here is a really good video on how to remove and take the carburetor off or apart. It actually has you to take the carburetor off which will be easier to work with rather than the way that I would do it but I have been doing this type or work for 30 years so I have learned a few shortcuts and time savers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FRjw61RCgk&feature=player_embedded

I hope that this helps you.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

I cleaned the car borate and put it back on and it still won't start. I put new 10w 30 oil in as well but filled a little too much.

Will the engine at least fire like it wants to start if you spray some carburetor cleaner or a little bit of fuel directly into the throat of the carburetor?

I don't have carb cleaner. How do I put a little fuel into the throat.

It's easiest if you have a small spray bottle that you can put the fuel in and then spray it into the carburetor. If you don't have that then you could use a small funnel and pour a small amount of fuel from your fuel can through the funnel into the carburetor, be careful that you don't get too much or you will flood the engine.

JohnF2015
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician