Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I'm getting a fast clicking sound when trying to start my…

Customer Question
I'm getting a fast clicking...
I'm getting a fast clicking sound when trying to start my 6500e. I've charged the battery and when using the electric start I hear that sound. Also I can not even get the generator to give me a rumble when trying with the pull cord.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
1/22/2016
Technician: timoto, Technician replied 2 years ago
timoto
timoto, Technician

The most likely cause of the clicking sound is a bad battery. The battery may show fully charged with respect to voltage but most likely does not have enough reserve capacity under load of the starter to turn the engine. Try removing the battery and take it to the nearest auto parts store and have the battery load tested to determine if it needs replacement.

The generac generator model #0059413....
My father in law just bought this generator earlier this year. The battery should be good. As for the machine not even making a rumbling when I try to start it with the pull cord is baffling me more so. Any ideas on that?

The most likely problem is old fuel varnish is clogging the fuel passages inside the carburetor. You can try spraying a brief shot of starting fluid in the air intake. If the engine starts momentarily until it consumes all of the starting fluid then you have confirmed that it is a fuel delivery problem.

Were you able to check out this problem any further and do you need any further assistance?