Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have this particular generator (McCulloch FG2000Tc). After…

Customer Question
I have this particular...

I have this particular generator (McCulloch FG2000Tc). After wondering why it started, then stalled (as if gas-starved) for about 10 pulls of the cord before it finally stayed running, I opened up the side panel to see a profuse gas leak coming down the side of the engine from behind the carb. I'm guessing it's just a seal, but wanted to confirm. It leaks while running, and while not, but since I never noticed any gas vapors while around it while not running, I'm guessing it stops leaking after it's set for a while after trying to start/running it. Perhaps just the bowl emptying.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Gotta love the one-key responses...

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/22/2016
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 2 years ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Have you removed your fuel bowl, to see if your float is sticking, or if your float is leaking?

There are a few possibilities.

• Your needle and seat could be dirty, with a small amount of debris.
  • Your float could have a hole in it.
  • Your float could be sticking

After you remove your fuel bowl, you will get a view of these parts.

You and I can start with checking these suggestions, then we can continue from here. Thanks!

Your bowl gasket/seal is likely ok. If your float, needle, and seat, was shutting off your fuel flow properly, gas would not rise that high inside your fuel bowl.

I will try to get it onto a bench and tear into it. My job is taking a huge amount of what would normally be my "free time", so it could be into next week before I can do this. Is that a problem?

No this is not a problem. Take your time.

Thanks. I've printed your responses and will attack it asap.
When I log on, I'll automatically be directed to you, correct?

Yes, you are correct. I look forward to working with you.

Took time to get into it today. As soon as I removed the air intake assembly (air filter and ducting that carries the air to the carb) I could see the fuel line that attaches to the carb at one end and to a cut-off module(?) at the other end. With the start switch in the "OFF" position I pulled the starter cord once. Fuel immediately began to seep through age/heat checking of the fuel line right where it shoves onto the intake nipple at the carb. I ran off to the parts store, bought new fuel line, and it's good as new again. Guess I'll take a lesson from this and skip obligating myself for online assistance until AFTER I've LOOKED at the problem MYSELF. I don't suppose you could "discount" the charge since it turned out to be something so simple?

Thank you for letting me know. I am glad you discovered where the gas was leaking from. If you contact customer service, they will close your question, and you will not be charged.

Totally unexpected and most kind of you. Good business approach. Thanks! Now to find "Customer Service".

Your satisfaction is very important to me. There should be a link to customer service on your discussion page.