Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Gas generator will not start

Customer Question
gas generator will not start
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/22/2016
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 2 years ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

What engine does this machine have on it? Did you clean the main jet of the carburetor thoroughly?

Can you provide the model and serial number from the frame of the machine so that I can better assist you?

itis a portable generator. we are having major snow with threat of power outages. I removed and cleaned the carborator and put it back on. Doing same thing as before. will strt with strter fluid but turns right off. like it is not getting gas

If it has the Briggs engine, did you clean the three holes in the bowl nut that holds the carburetor bowl on? If not then you need to thoroughly clean those holes as they are your main jets for the carburetor.

taking carborator off again

All you need to do is remove the carburetor bowl, the nut that holds the bowl on is what we want to look at. You should be able to do this without taking the entire carburetor off.

off, there are 2 screew that hold bowl on
now what

Inside the center stem that sticks down into the bowl you should find the main jet, make certain that it is thoroughly cleaned.

when i originall removed it was clogged. now i can see light through it

What about the fuel nozzle that is just above it, the nozzle has several holes in it that need to be cleaned.

they appear clean. i have shot carb cleanener all through it

There has to still be something there that is stopped up. Based on your information, if you can spray starting fluid in it and it starts up and dies quickly this tells me that you aren't getting fuel through the main jets of the carburetor in order to keep the machine running. Does the carburetor have a fuel solenoid on the bottom of the bowl?

no

Can you provide the model and serial number from the frame of the machine? I would like to be able to pull a parts diagram so that I can better assist you.

model 01646 serial(###) ###-####
you still there?
jeff are you still there?
i meant John, sorry

Yes, sorry I had to step away for a moment.

In looking at the information that I can find on your model machine, I don't have a physical breakdown of the carburetor. I have to believe however that since you can spray starting fluid in it and it will start and run until it burns that out that you have a jet or passage that is stopped up. You actually have a Generac engine on this machine so it is a little different from what I was originally thinking but the function is still the same. What happens if you keep it choked? Will it run then?

No it still cut off. I put it back together and it started and ran longer than it had been and then it started leaking gas like crazy from the carborator. The gasket between the bowl and the carb seems to have stretched and is not sealing. Also a little piston shaped item that came out seemed to have been dry rotten.The pointed rubber tip was torn and came off. I have given up. Ill have to see about getting parts next week after the storm is over. Hope we don't loose electricity. I'm going to see if I can find a parts manual on line. Any ideas where I can get one? Thanks for your help.

The piston shaped item that came out is probably the float valve. If it is not in the carburetor then the carburetor is going to over fuel and dump gas right through it which is the reason that fuel is leaking out now. You will most likely need to rebuild the carburetor. It is possible that the float valve was sticking and not allowing fuel to enter the bowl of the carburetor which would explain the reason that the machine would not run before. I wish you well, hope you don't loose electric during this storm. Have a great weekend!!!

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

JohnF2015
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician