Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My craftsman snow blower does not start. I cleaned gas tank…

Customer Question
My craftsman snow blower does...
My craftsman snow blower does not start. I cleaned gas tank and put fresh gas in and replaced the spark plug with .025 gap as in operations manual
Very disappointing as the blower is 3 years old and only used it 2-3x's
Hope you can help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/22/2016
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 2 years ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

What happens if you spray a little carburetor cleaner or fuel directly into the throat of the carburetor? Will it at least fire and run a little then?

thought about it but have no carb cleaner like Gumout? Engine cranks but doesn't catch starter just spins

My thought is that you are probably not getting fuel through the main jet on the carburetor which would cause the engine to not start. If you had a carburetor cleaner or even just a little bit of fuel that you could get into the throat of the carburetor to try and start it would tell you for sure. The only other thing that you could do is clean the main jet in the carburetor thoroughly.

I saw you can add fuel to carb throat. How do it get into the carb? I have to take about 6 screws out just to change a spark plug foolish design. So big question is how do I get the the carb throat?My son is going out to get some GumOut

Just from what I can tell off of your model information it looks like this machine has the MTD built engine on it. In order to get to the main jet in the carburetor you would have to remove the bowl from the carburetor and the jet is in the center of the stem that is sticking down, you can remove it with a small flat tip screwdriver. Make certain to clean it thoroughly and reinstall it, this should take care of your problem.

You may have to remove a cover that is over the carburetor, if you are standing behind the machine the carburetor will normally be on the left side of the engine.

Try the Gumout and see what happens and then you can decide what the next step will be for you. My guess is that you will need to clean the main jet.

Question is how do I get the carb throat and then the jet?
Is there an online video on how to do this?
Okay, to be sure the carb is in black box over the spark plug which is also on the left side.I need to remove the cover thats over the ignition, choke etc. to get at the carb box ANy tips?
thanks will let you know what happens

Let me know what you find. You can come back to this conversation at any time and continue.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Do I have to tie the fuel tnk off to do this on the MTD engine?
take fuel tank off, sorry

No you should not have to, everything should be accessible from the bottom side without removing the tank.