Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My craftsman snow blower won't start... any ideas? Yes

Customer Question
-followed all start procedures fresh...
My craftsman snow blower won't start... any ideas? Yes -followed all start procedures fresh gas- only one season old- used maybe 4 times
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
1/22/2016
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 2 years ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. I will need to ask you some troubleshooting questions as we go. Did you drain your fuel tank at the end of your last season?

no

Thanks for your response. The gas that was left inside your fuel tank, has very likely contaminated your carburetor. Gas will began to turn stale within thirty days, from date of purchase, if fuel stabilizer is not used. Stale gas will turn to gum and varnish, and eventually clog the small jets and fuel passages inside the body of your carburetor.

What brand is your engine?

Great, my bad, but what do I do now to fix it and get this thing running??? Big snow coming Sat

Are you familiar with cleaning carburetors?

Basically, yes, Can I use a spray can of carb and choke cleaner???

You can first try a basic cleaning. This consist of removing your fuel bowl, and cleaning it, and also clean the underside of your carburetor. You can use some compressed air, a small wire, and some carburetor cleaner in a can, to clean every small hole you see, after you remove your fuel bowl.

Mechanic In A Bottle

Also click on the link above. This fuel additive is designed to clean your carburetor, without removing it. These are two options you have without removing your carburetor.

If this does not work for you, you will need to remove your carburetor, and give it a more detailed cleaning.

Try the fuel additive first.

I will try all options above. If it comes down to pulling the carb , I'll leave that up to a qualified xpert. Thanks for your help, Don, wish me luck!

You are very welcome! I truly hope all goes well for you. I hope you get it done before the snow arrives. I wish you all the luck in this world!

Just take your time. I believe you can do it.