Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 1 year old Toro Power Max 826 OTE Snow thrower, I…

Customer Question
I have a 1 year...
I have a 1 year old Toro Power Max 826 OTE Snow thrower, I got it late last season and used it 2 times. I the spring I started it up and ran it dry to store for the summer. I went to start it today nothing, I replaced the spark plug and I'm at my end, please help. I didn't use stabilizer when I ran it dry.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
1/21/2016
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 2 years ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello Chuck. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Hi Donald,
I can't get my snow thrower started

Chuck, do you have some carburetor cleaner in a can?

No

No problem. I would like for you to try something for me.

Sure, what would that be?

Remove your spark plug again. Pour about a teaspoon of gas directly into your spark plug hole. Re-insert your spark plug, then try starting your engine again.

Ok this will take me a while, I have a sick wife and have to give her dinner

No problem. Take your time. Keep in mind, that although you ran your fuel tank dry, there still remained a small amount of non-stabilized gas in your carburetor fuel bowl. This small amount has probably turned to gum and varnish, and clogged the small jet inside your carburetor.

Thank you Donald, I'll get back to you with in the hour.

You are very welcome! Chuck, family comes first. I will be here.

Hi Donald, I put the gas in the spark plug hole and it did start and stalled I know because it's not getting gas?

Thank you for checking this for me. This indicates that you have either a clogged jet, or fuel passage in the body of your carburetor.

Are you familiar with removing your fuel bowl from your carburetor?

I've done that before on cement mixers.

If you remove your fuel bowl, you will have access to the underside of your carburetor. You can use a small wire, and some compressed air to give your carburetor a basic cleaning. It will be great if you can pick up a can of carburetor cleaner.

You can do this without removing your carburetor from your engine.

Great! I'll get to this tomorrow. I'll let you know how I make tomorrow, thanks for your help Donald. Have a good night.
Chuck

You are very welcome! I do hope all goes well for you.

I look forward to knowing your results.

I hope your night is good as well!

Donald, thank you for your help, 2 pulls and it started fine. Enjoy your weekend hope you don't get snowed it.
Chuck

Chuck you are very welcome! I do hope all continues to go well for you.