Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

My Rigid 8000 generator is completely dead. I tried to jump

Customer Question
it with one of those...
My Rigid 8000 generator is completely dead. I tried to jump it with one of those Peak jump-starters, but it doesn't do anything. Completely dead.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
1/19/2016
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 1 year ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

So you don't hear anything at all when you try to start it? No clicks, buzzes? Can you provide the model and serial number from the frame of the machine so that I can better assist you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, I can't seem to locate the model/serial numbers. Can you direct me where to look? It's Rigid brand with a Subaru motor. 10000 starting watts 8000 running watts.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh, and to answer your other question, no clicks, or buzzes.

The model tag should be on the frame and is normally on the back of the control panel but they sometimes just stick it on the stator housing.

Since you aren't getting any noises even when you tried to jump start it then I would be looking for a blown fuse in the starting system. If we can come up with a model number I should be able to direct you as to where you will find the fuse.

Does the machine have a pull start option? Have you tried to start it using the pull start?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The machine does have a pull start, but it's very difficult to pull. I'll try again in the morning and will also look for the model/serial label. I'll also look for a fuse. Could a faulty spark plug cause these symptoms?

No, a faulty spark plug would cause it to not start but it would not cause it to not crank over.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think I found the numbers on the side of the motor. There are two rows which don't seem to line up:
Line 1 reads, "PROD.NO SER.NO.D10" there's a large gap between "PROD.NO" and "SER."
Line 2 reads, "EX400SE52218493 (###) ###-####
Do these numbers make sense?

Yes, the second line of numbers are the engine model and serial numbers. Let me see if I can find anything based off of these numbers.

I was able to find a parts diagram for the engine using the numbers that you provided but it doesn't show any part of the starting system except the starter itself. The wiring and switch have to be part of the generator at which point I would need the model information from the frame of the machine itself.

Since it is not doing anything at all when you try to start it I would be looking for a fuse located on or around the control panel. I wish that I could be of more assistance but without the model number from the frame I can't tell you exactly where it is located at. It will be an inline fuse, normally 10 - 15 amp.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for your help, John, but I had a small engines expert visit my house and found a number of things, including starter motor problems and most essentially the carburetor. Repairing it would cost more than it's worth, so I'm giving up.

Well, I am sorry to hear that but if there are a lot of problems with it sometimes it is less costly to just replace the machine rather than try to repair them.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

JohnF2015
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician