Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Curtis -- I'm back again with another question. My LX

Customer Question
172 will start and run...
Curtis -- I'm back again with another question. My LX 172 will start and run while in neutral but stops running when the transmission is engaged for either forward or reverse movement and also when the mower blades are engaged. Suggestions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Safety switch under seat has been jumpered and also disconnected but with the same results. Engine stops when pto or gears are engaged.
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago

K 1 relay. It is what shuts off the fuel solenoid. You could always remove the file solenoid! It is ant-backfire solenoid and really serves no other function, other than keeping engine from backfiring once when the key is turned off hot! Not used on older models.

The solenoid extends from the bottom of the carburetor and has a wire attached as I understand. I removed the wire first with no change to the problem. Should I remove the solenoid completly and plug the hole with a bolt?

Unplugging the solenoid should keep engine from starting! It has to be removed or the inner parts removed to disable it.

The engine started with the wire disconnected. I will remove the solenoid and plug the hole.
I removed the solenoid and used a bolt to fill the hole. That didn't fix the problem. What next?

Engine just has a coil and magnet in the flywheel to make the spark. Remove the kill wire from the coil and see if engine continues to run. If it does, the kill circuit is being grounded by safety switch. If not, the engine is just stalling and the carburetor and fuel supply are not passing the fuel. Engine is either losing fuel or spark.

Engine stops when wire is removed. Since engine continues to run until pto or gear shift is moved that should indicate that fuel is still flowing . What would stop the fuel?

Engines stops when wire is removed? starts and runs, but still shuts off? Have you removed and cleaned te carburetor and check the flow to the carburetor inlet? This has the pulse fuel pump, so is the pulse line open to the crankcase and you feel the pulse if you remove hose and check with finger?

The safety seat switch was jumpered with no change in operation and the disconnected with the same results. That should have been an alert that the problem of keeping the engine running was connected to that wire bundle. After removing the parts covering that bundle I discover that the wires had been severed by resting on the v-belt pulley effectively acting as the safety switch for the seat when dismounting. Problem solved by cutting and tying wires together past the cut wires. The solution was missed by not following the observation that the engine kept running when the safety wires didn't respond to being connected or disconnected.

Good job! Thanks for the update.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician