Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a troy bilt XP 7000TO 10500 STARTING WATTS GENERATOR

Customer Question

I have a troy bilt XP 7000TO 10500 STARTING WATTS GENERATOR AND IM HAVING A PROBLEM WITH IT NOT CHARGING THE BATTERY WHILE ITS RUNNING. ITS OUTTING OUT 120 V BUT ITS NOT CHARGING THE BATTERY. ANOTHER PROBLEM IS WHEN I USE MY HILTI HAMMER DRIL ITS NOT HAMMERING TO ITS FULL POWER. I HAVE TO TURN GENERATOR OFF THEN TURN IT BACK ON AND THEN IT SEEMS TO HAVE FULL POER TO THE DRILL. IS THIS RELATED TO NOT CHARGING THE BATTERY AND WHAT COULD BE CAUSING IT NOT TO CHARGE THE BATTERY WHILE ITS RUNNING?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer if it's running and not charging the battery it could be the stator / alternator which on most engines is located under the flywheel . Do you have a digital multimeter ? If so we can test the battery voltage while it's off then when it's running , if it's the same and slowly drops while running it sounds like the stator is bad , but check the wiring connections etc too

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This generator isn't equipped with a alternator.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the model number by any chance ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
030477
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks let me check diagrams on your unit . When you say it's not charging the battery you mean the battery that starts the engine etc correct ?

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

For the battery it should be charged by a stator which is located under the flywheel of the engine

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi have you had a chance to check the generator out any further ?