Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My name is ***** *****: I have a pair of poulan wild things.

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****: I have a pair of poulan wild things. They won't start. They have plenty of spark. I have removed the muffler. They just fluid. I have taken the carbs apart cleaned them. The carbs are Zama C1M. Got any ideas. Thanks ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: They just fluid the plug with gas.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Small Engine Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Cylinder floods? And you have good spark. Fuel mix 40/50-1, new fuel. That would make me think compression may be low, do you have a compression tester to check compression? Needs to be well over 120 psi. When did the last run?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Curtis: One ran yesterday morn. The other one ran the day before that. Yes I have a compression tester. I will go out after bit and check them. Yesterday I even changed carbs. What I did was I switched the carbs and no luck. Wayne
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Fuel is fresh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Curtis B. The fuel is fresh 1 week old. Put in new fuel filters yesterday. Fuel lines are good. Compression is 120 lbs. psi on both saws. Have jet screws set at 1 1/2 turns open. I am not sure how far to turn open throttle idle screw. One of the saws did try to run for just a little bit this afternoon. Now nothing. Have sprayed just a little starting fluid in spark plug hole. No results. Also have sprayed carb cleaner through carb. No luck. Checked to see if carb needle is hold shut and it is. I am lost as what to try next. HELP!!! Wayne M.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

You say plugs are wet? If plugs are wet, and you have spark, what kind of fuel are you using? A premix or mixing your own?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using Opti2. One pack in 1 gallon of unleaded gas just like they it says on package.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I don't know, seems like it is fuel related. I would try a quart of the premix, just to try something else. Maybe the unleaded gas is problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can put this fuel mix in a different saw and it runs great.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK, let me opt out and see if someone else can help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Thank You.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

Hello,, if the carb is flooding it will fill the crankcase with gas. Try this, remove the plug and with the switch in off position turn saw upside down and pull the rope several times to see if it blows out fuel. Dry off the plug and try to start without priming or choking. Just the throttle last or squeezed trigger.

Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

If fuel does come out and saw starts run til it clears up and let sit overnight to see if case fills with fuel again indicating a carb problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vince O. Yes gas came out when I turned it upside down and turned it over. I have checked the carb and the needle is holding. Wayne M.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

Did you try starting saw like mentioned above? Did you use pressure tester on the carb to see if leaking? Is there fuel in the crankcase again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vince O. I did the best I could to check if needle valve is holding. I put a fuel line on carb inlet and blew into it . And It held. Wayne M.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

If the saw sits overnight does the crankcase fill up again? Were you able to start the saw after being upside down?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vince O. Haven't tried yet. The plan is to try this afternoon. Wayne M.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vince O. Does this Poulan P4018WT Wildthing saw have reeds? I have not seen any if there is. Wayne M.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

Remove the muffler and shine a light to look at the piston and make sure the rings are free and there aren't any scratches Even though you have 120 psi (which meets specs) there could be internal damage. I replaced many,many pistons and cylinders when covered by store warranty or repair agreement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vince O. I have already done that. I give up> Wayne M.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

Did you remove the plug again after sitting overnight and turn upside down again and pull rope?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vince O. Yes I did that. Also, checked for spark. Wayne
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

Did gas come out again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vince O. No.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

Try starting with the throttle latch on-no choke and no priming

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vince O. Yes I tried that and no luck. But this afternoon I took it clear apart. The main thing I noticed was the bearings on the crank turn on the crankshaft and slide right off the shaft. Is that normal when the pan and cylinder are not bolted to gather?? Wayne M.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

That's normal with the bearings, they pull right off. Did you see any scratches or scoring at all? If the RTV seal between crankcase wasn't good it would suck air and not start. Also check the carb adapter for cracks or bad gaskets

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vince O. I did not see any scoring. But the RTV seal didn't look that good. I didn't notice any cracks in carb adapter either. The gasket looked good. Thanks Wayne
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vince O. I will use #1 gasket maker on the crankcase. I did notice a lot of carbon on the top of cylinder. Do you know any good way to clean that out? Thanks Wayne
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

I just use a screwdriver to scrape the carbon off. Is the piston ring free?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vince O. Yes the piston ring is free. And I removed it and cleaned out ring grove. Thanks Wayne
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

I'm running out of ideas. Is the flywheel ok?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vince O. Flywheel is ok. I will try to start the saw tomorrow. Thanks Wayne
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

The key(way) isn't sheared ? It would be out of time

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vince O. The key seems to be fine. Wayne
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

The portion of fuel line inside the tank is not stiff or rotted and the fuel filter is still connected to it?

Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

I don't know what else to check. Not seeing it for myself doesn't help. Re seal the c/case and see what happens

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vince O. I don't understand!! Why the bearings on the sides of the crankshaft turn on the shaft. What is the reason for the roller balls inside the race. Wayne
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

The inner race turns? Did you check for play in the crank before disassembling the saw?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vince O. No but I will. Wayne