Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

This is the third winter up here in Northern Michigan, that

Customer Question
my 7-8 kw propane fired...
This is the third winter up here in Northern Michigan, that my 7-8 kw propane fired standby gennie has been experiencing cold weather start up issues. The unit was installed in 2006 and operated flawlessly until the fall/winter of 2013, as the outside temps began to fall.
At approximately 32 degrees and lower outside temps, the starter will engage and the engine will crank over as it should, but will not fire up and run. The only way I can get it to fire, is with a shot of starting fluid blown into the intake. Once the unit fires up, it runs just fine. We are coming off of a 62 hour outage and the unit performed it's duties as it was designed to do. What is going on, that the colder outside temps are affecting the start up of my generator?
Bill from Michigan
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/5/2016
Technician: Wayne, Engine Rebuilder replied 1 year ago
Wayne, Engine Rebuilder

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

your unit is getting older, so compression may be lower now also

2 things you can do to help/prevent this

change your oil to Synthetic oil, 10w30

and /or install a dip stick heater to heat the oil and keep it thinner

I hope this helped you

Hi if this helped you

Please rate my answer 3 or more stars

If you need more info, use request button

Not Poor/Bad service

Morning

Just following up with you

did my answer help you

let me know, Please

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have been using 10w30 Mobil 1 synthetic oil since the unit was new, as recommended in the users manual.
I also have been running a 100 watt light bulb next the engine to try to keep the compartment warm.
I am still having cold start issues.
The engine cranks over just fine, but will not fire and run without the assistance of starting fluid.
Again, this is only an issue when the ambient temperature is below 35 degrees. Any other thoughts?

Hi

Long time no hear

good that used it from start Synthetic oil from start

only other thing I ca suggest is Gutter wrap for cold and snow,

goes on at 40 degrees off at 42 degrees

wrap that around the oil pan

Hi if this helped you

Please rate my answer 3 or more stars

Not Poor/Bad service

Wayne, Engine Rebuilder