Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a Honda 3000 generator and we had a conversion kit

Customer Question
installed on it so it...
I have a Honda 3000 generator and we had a conversion kit installed on it so it could run on Propane. Everything is fine when we use it to run things like household appliances. The problem comes when I try to run my GQF incubator or hatcher - electrical upright cabinet models for incubating and hatching chicks.
The power of the generator over rides the thermostat and the unit starts heating up too high so I have to keep plugging it in, and then unplugging it for a while so the units don't over heat.
I have tried plugging several things into a power strip to "bleed off" some of the power - I am a retired female and this is not my strong area! How to I solve this problem? I'm incubating almost 300 eggs at a time and when power is off during the night, I'm up all night trying to keep the eggs warm enough but not have the unit over heat.
I got the conversion kit from a place in West Virginia.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
http://www.gqfmfg.com/cabinet-model-parts/3011-fan-motor/
This page shows some of the components of my incubator unit.
12/31/2015
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

What makes you think that it is the generator causing the thermostat problem? From what I see, problem is the incubator thermostat! If thermostat is working correctly, it should turn the heater on and off. The generator produces standard voltage, and would not care if it was running a fan, heater, or appliance, as long as voltage is correct.

I think you thermostat or relay for thermostat is sticking.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have both incubators plugged into wall outlets right now and they are not over heating. The sensors are good inside the units. A friend, who's father is an electrical engineer, told him the problem was most likely the frequency....that the voltage can be correct but the frequency in the generator can cause the incubator, which is sensitive, to overheat. Does this sound like a possibility? and if so, how do I adjust it?

Frequency should be 60 cycles. But that is what generator should put out. Are you running the incubators with grounded cords and grounded generator. I don't see a relation between incubator running fine off wall outlet and not from generator outlet.?? Other than ground ?? Have you checked the generators voltage output and frequency?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have not checked voltage and frequency output. Would I have to get an electrician to check the frequency and voltage?
I have run a air purifier, and oscillating fan on the power strip along with the incubator and the incubator still over heats, according to the digital read out and if I let it climb too high, the alarm on the incubator sounds off.As for the ground on the generator - the generator is "stand alone" - it is not hooked into our circuit box. The cord that plugs into the generator is 3 pronged, and I plug that into a power strip which has 3 prong plugs on it. I don't know the correct terminology but I think you know what I mean. We take the generator outside the garage while it is running and pull the garage door down and run the cord into a basement room where the incubators are located.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
all my units have grounded cords.

Page 17 in the user manual shows a ground connection at the frame, I would take a jumper cable or similar cable and ground the generator to a water pipe or similar item that would ground the frame of the generator. It might male no difference, but worth trying. To check voltage a frequency you would have to have a voltmeter and a frequency counter or tachometer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't really understand enough to problem solve it with the owners manual. Thank you for your help.

OK, sorry.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I appreciate your willingness to try. I will probably cancel the payment I made but I do appreciate your attitude.

You did see the manual? Or already have one? Showing the ground at frame. Your house will have a ground rod , driven into the earth , that connects to your breaker box and utility meter. Generator needs the same type setup for critical situations.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, I did not see it. What page please?
I have no idea where the ground rod is for our house. To be effective, it must be quite deep - this is correct?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have an extra ground rod that came with our electric fence from Premier1 Fencing. I would love it, if this solved the problem!

For house it has to be 8 ft deep in most places, but the grounding rod for electric fence will work of the generator, worth trying.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can we extend this conversation into tomorrow? It is late EST, raining outside and I would like to look for the ground rod and also at the page that you referred me to ~ I can do it later tomorrow. My morning is full - with chicken chores.

Sure, take as long as you like. There should be a link i your email to get back,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you please give me the page number that showed the set up. I'm familiar with the fence hook ups and grounding, off of house current/energizer and also from a Marine Battery.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, great on the link.
I have to have my birds, 75+ of them tested by the state in the morning for routine testing. Blood draws on each one ~ be glad you are doing what you do and not catching chickens tomorrow!

!! good luck on the catching!

Page was 17

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician