Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a 1999 345 ***** ***** Deere tractor that this summer

Customer Question
Customer: I have a 1999...
Customer: I have a 1999 345 ***** ***** Deere tractor that this summer when I was mowing with it the mower would disengage a number of times and each time I would have to shut the switch off and then turn it back on to get the mower to work . Now I am having the same problem with the snowblower on it. I have adjusted the gap on the clutch to ***** ***** Deere specs. The seat button is disconnected and the wires are wired together.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Happens anytime, hot or cold. Figure its in the electrical but I have no schematic for it. Mike
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Small Engine Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes I can.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
12/29/2015
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 1 year ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello Mike. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. How long do you have to wait, after you shut your switch off, before your pto clutch will engage again?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As fast as I can switch it back on.

Thanks for your response. Do you have a multimeter, or a 12 volt test light?

We need to determine if you are loosing voltage, or ground ...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A multimeter

Okay ...

If you engage your pto clutch, how long will it work, before it quits? This is a troubleshooting question.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sometimes 2 hrs. Sometimes 5 seconds or 5 minutes.

Is your battery in good condition?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would say. Year and half old.

Have you recently had a need to charge your battery?

I would like for you to check something. Immediately after pto clutch quit working, check for voltage at your pto clutch. If you have voltage, check your ground side, to see if it is still properly grounded. If no voltage, we need to check for voltage in and out of your pto switch.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. I have checked at different times after the mower has tripped out the voltage at the battery posts and it measures 12+volts.

Your battery is okay ...

When you have a chance, can you check the other suggestion above?

I will work with you until we figure out what is causing our problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will check but as I said it don't happen when you want it to.

I understand.

There are a few possibilities. It could be a loose connection, your pto switch, a relay that fails intermittently, a faulty connector on your pto clutch, etc.

To pinpoint our problem, we will likely have to do our troubleshooting as the problem is occurring. If you like, I can opt out, to see if one of our other experts will pick up on something I am missing. Your satisfaction is very important to me.

You have already adjusted your clutch, and your battery is voltage is good ...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That is where I thought a wiring schematic would help or like you said other experts. Thanks

I do not have a wiring schematic, but hopefully one of our other experts will have access to one. You have a great night, and I hope all goes well for you. I will opt out now.

Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 1 year ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will try to assist you.

Can you tell me what you have the clearance on the electric clutch adjusted to? Have you check voltage at the electric clutch when it shuts down? You will need to do this with everything still running and do not touch the PTO switch when the clutch stops, leave it in the on position in order to tell if you are still getting voltage to the clutch. If you turn it off and then back on it could restart and work again that is why it is important to do this check when the clutch stops and you don't want to change anything. This could be a pto switch, ignition switch, safety switch or wiring, relay. We need to start by identifying if you still have voltage to the electric clutch when it shuts down.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
John; I set the gape at .017 at three different slots. No I have not checked the voltage at the clutch when tripped out. Just across the battery posts reading 12+ volts.

In my experience with the adjustable electric clutches you want to set those at .012 if they get much more clearance than that it will cause problems especially the hotter the clutch gets. I would try resetting the clearances to .012 and see if that helps, if not then I would suggest checking the voltage at the clutch when it shuts down and see if you are still getting voltage to it or not.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am working on readjusting the gap now.

Let me know what happens.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
John: I set the gap to about .014 and than left the feeler gauge in that slot and turned the pulley , it gets tighter in one spot . Why? There are two black wires to a terminal and one blue to the other terminal coming from tractor.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The tight spot does that have something to do with the breaking of the clutch?

The tight spot is most likely just uneven wear on the clutch plate. The black wires are normally ground wires and the blue should be you hot wire coming to the electric clutch.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician