JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

Have a 1500 ultra source. Would start and not stay running.

Customer Question

have a 1500 ultra source. Would start and not stay running. Once, it started and ran for 20 min until I shut it down. Another time the same. Other than that, just 4 to 5 seconds. Noticed it began shutting down as soon as the start lever was released. Traced down to solenoid in carb. that is energizing only in the start position. When released, looses power to the solenoid and it shuts the gas to jets off. Any suggestions?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

It sounds like you are loosing power to the fuel solenoid from the ignition switch which is causing the solenoid to close and not allow fuel to pass through the main jet of the carburetor. You have one of two options to fix this. 1. Replace the ignition switch. 2. Remove the fuel solenoid, cut the plunger off and reinstall the fuel solenoid. The only reason for the fuel solenoid is to eliminate back fires on shut down of the machine, it has no other real function. The machine will run and perform fine but may on occasion back fire when you shut it off. I hope that this information helps you.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.