Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

A while back I struck a rock and the mower began to vibrate

Customer Question

A while back I struck a rock and the mower began to vibrate and make noise. I thought
I had broken one of the spindles so I ordered a spindle and belt. I removed the deck
and found the blade had a chunk out of it and both spindles were free spinning and quiet.
I did notice that the brake pad on the right side pulley slowed the spindle down. I cleaned
up both the pads and reinstalled the deck. On starting the mower the deck is very noisy
and today the right side pulley locked up and started to smoke the belt. I believe the
problem is the pad on that pulley is applying and trying to stop it. I don't see anything bent or out of alignment and I'm not sure how to adjust them.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. What is the make and the model numbers for your mower?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I can use your model numbers, to pull up an image of your deck, to better assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Remove your belt from your right side spindle pulley. Use one hand to pull brake pad away from your pulley, then use your other hand to check to see if your spindle will spin. If so, check to see if it spins freely. Sometimes faulty bearing will start out smoothly, and seize after they heat up.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

This is a good starting point for troubleshooting our problem. We can continue from here.