Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

This is the 3rd time I have tried this and it won't let me

Customer Question
edit a question before I...
This is the 3rd time I have tried this and it won't let me edit a question before I send it.
Any way I have a Honda generator em5000s that has no output.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
12/12/2015
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 2 years ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Did this problem occur suddenly, or gradually, over a period of time?

It has been setting idle for about 6 yrs. I have the engine running but have no output.

Terry, many times when this problem occurs, you can flash your generator, and your output will resume. The procedure is called field flashing. This procedure is fairly simply. Do you have an electric corded drill?

I have power tpols. I have already flashed the field.

This did not work for you?

If it worked I wouldn't be talking right now. When I flashed the field I removed the wires from the brushes and connected a 12 volt battery to the brushes, removed the wires, connected them back and restarted the generator. Still no output
Do I flash the field with it running or stoped

Terry, due to the fact that I cannot physically see or hear your generator, I ask troubleshooting questions. When I asked about the procedure above, I was only confirming that it did not make a different in your generators output, before moving to the next troubleshooting step. If you use a drill, you field flash with your engine running.

I would try it again, using a drill, just to be sure.

What does a drill have to do with flashing???If I am hearing you right I plug the drill into the generator. Remove the wires from the brushes, connect a set of leads to the brushes and connect it to a 12 volt battery for a few seconds, and see if I have output. If I do remove the wires from the brushes and reconnect them to th proper leads after I have shut it down???

Terry, I can explain the procedure.

I will attach a link to a video, that shows the procedure.

If the procedure using the drill does not work, then we can work again with the method you used, using your 12 volt battery.

You will start your engine as usual, when using the electric drill method.

This next video shows the method you used, using your 12 volt battery.

Are you still with me? I just want to make sure your generator was correctly field flashed, before moving to the next troubleshooting checkpoint.

I have used the drill per the video and flashed the field per the video 6 times now. What's next

Thank you for checking. I would like to ask you? When you were trying the method with your battery, did you apply the voltage while your engine was running?

No I did not. The video did not say to do that

Did you watch the second video? The second video has a generator exactly like yours.

That is correct and it does not flash the field with the generator running. Should I do it with the generator running???

Yes, you should do it with your generator running. Make sure you have your polarity correct. Positive to Positive, and Negative to Negative.

Wait one, I will go try it.

I don't mind waiting. Just do it just link in the Honda EM5000S video. Please be careful.

I Have done that. When the battery was connected to the brushes the voltage came up to 90 volts on the meter at 120 and 150 on the 240 volt side. I shut it down and reconnected and still no output.
when the battery was connected the generator idled down, when battery was disconnected it came back up to full speed

Thank you for checking.

The next step will be to check your capacitor.

I didn't see one where is it

You mentioned brushes. I do apologize, you do not have a capacitor.

You have an AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator)

That is true. How do I check it with an ohm meter, or can I??

I do not have a schematic or diagram for Honda generators. I rather not guess. I rather opt out, and let's see if one of the other gentlemen have Honda specs.

Field Flashing basically work the same for most generators.

Terry, would you like for me to opt out, to give another expert an opportunity to work with you?

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician