Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Stihl BR340. The trigger, I have to work it several

Customer Question

I have a Stihl BR340. The trigger, I have to work it several times before the engine catches, I figure something is loose. Is it something a reasonably able fix it person like me to handle. I just had the unit in a month ago for maintenance servicing and I'm not too keen to spend another $90 to fix it. Joe W.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Does the engine seem to hesitate when the trigger is pulled or can you tell me a little more about exactly what it is doing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't answer right now. Heading out the door. I'll get back soon
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Just come back here and we can continue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm back. When I pull the trigger nothing happens until the 3rd or 4th time then it runs. A minute or two later it'll seems like it uncatches (the trigger, to me). I pull the trigger another 3 or 4 times and it runs. Sometimes it runs for awhile then uncatches and I hit the trigger a couple of times and it goes. When I pull the trigger there's no response, like the cable is not connected.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It would be strange that it would not catch at times and then work fine others, but if you will look at the carburetor area most of those machines were built with an adjustment plate for the throttle cable that will allow you to make small cable adjustments by just turning a screw on the plate. It sounds like maybe the cable just needs to be adjusted a little in order to make it work all the time as it should. There was also a release built into the throttle trigger assembly that would keep the cable from catching and working if the switch were in the off position, you may have something bent in there that is causing it too not catch all the time.