Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a Honda EB5000 that will start up and run fine, then

Customer Question

I have a Honda EB5000 that will start up and run fine, then die after 5 mins on running
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. I will need to ask you some troubleshooting questions, as we go.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Did you clean your fuel tank, prior to putting on your new carburetor? Have you checked your oil level, and the condition of your oil? How long do you have to wait, before your engine will re-start, after it dies?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cleaned the tank and the petcock, the oil is new and to spec. It will restart immediately with no trouble, then it will run again for about 5 mins. It doesn't sputter like its running out of gas, it literally sounds the same as if I'm turning the generator off at the "on/off" switch
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for this information. Let's try something for troubleshooting purposes. As your engine is shutting off, move your choke to either partial, or full choke position, to see if your engine will run longer.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

If choking your carburetor does not make a difference as your engine is shutting off, remove the wire from your low oil shut off switch. We need to determine if your engine will run without this wire connected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will try that as soon as I get out of work. So you think that the oil shut off switch is shorting out possibly??
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

There is a possibility that your oil shut off switch could be intermittently working. Disconnecting your switch, will help to determine if it is at fault. Give it a try after you are off work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the oil sensor unplugged and successfully ran for 10 mins and counting. Is it nessesary to replace this or can it be ran as-is and just check the oil regularly?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jeb. I always recommend that a Low Oil Shut Down Switch be replaced, when at fault, but if you follow the statement you made above, you should be okay. Just remember to check your oil level, and the condition of your oil on a regular basis.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

We can continue from here. Thanks!