JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have an ariens riding lawnmower with a briggs and stratton

Customer Question

I have an ariens riding lawnmower with a briggs and stratton vangaurd 14hp engine. I changed the oil and now it is smoking when on an idle speed and when I try to cut grass with it. I noticed oil leaking on the frame by the muffler. I checked the gasket over the rockers but it is still solid. I did notice that the bottom bolts were not as tight as they should be. Why am I getting oil in the spark plug and what do I need to do to fix it?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Do you see any signs of a leak that might be getting onto the exhaust and burning? My other thought would be a blown or partially blown head gasket.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just took the engine apart. The gasket looks good. There is alot of carbon on the piston and the valves. Also oil is getting into the air filter
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

There are only a couple of reasons that oil would get into the air filter:

1. The engine is overfilled for some reason (sometimes carburetor leaking fuel through when sitting will overfill the crankcase).
  2. The head gasket is blown which is creating crankcase pressure that is blowing oil back through the crankcase breather system or you have some other external air leak which is creating the crankcase pressure.

The carbon build up on the piston and valves, Is it black or more of a gray color?