Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a Kohler Command 17.5 which I have trouble starting,

Customer Question

I have a Kohler Command 17.5 which I have trouble starting, it seems like the battery goes flat, even with a new battery. I've had a mechanic out who couldn't find anything wrong after one an a half hours testing all the electrical system, the motor always turns over a lot before it starts with jumper leads from the car, the motor has 250 hours on the clock, and runs perfect once motor is going
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I will need to ask you some troubleshooting questions as we go.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Do you still have to use jumper cables, even when your battery was new?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You stated that your engine turns over a lot, before it starts up. Have you tried spraying a small burst of carburetor cleaner, or starting fluid, directly into your carburetor, to see if your engine will start up a little quicker?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

We can continue from here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if the battery has been one charger the motor will start.
no i have not done anything in reguards to the caburetor
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for this information. I would like to confirm something. Are you saying that your engine will start right up, as long as your battery is fully charged?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will still wind over a lot but will start
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any carburetor cleaner in a can, or starting fluid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

The reason I asked, is because I am wondering if your engine will start right up, if you sprayed your carburetor directly, or primed it with a small amount of gas?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I would like for you to check something, when you have a chance.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I would like for you to remove your air filter cover, and your air filter. After you remove these parts, check to see if your choke is fully closing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cant under stand why the battery seems to go flat the motor runs for a hour each time its started.
it is I use full choke to start the motor each time as it could be a week or to between starts
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Even with full choke, is your engine still hard to start? Do your battery go flat, only when you are attempting to start your engine, or does it go flat while you are out mowing?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

These are only troubleshooting questions ...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it goes flat while its standing it charges up while mowing and will start after mowing for a while but still turns over a lot i guess the caberutor needs a clean
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

As far as your hard starting issues, your carburetor may need a really good cleaning, but I would double check your choke first. Although your choke lever is in full choke position, does not mean that the choke valve/butterfly on your carburetor is fully closed.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

As far as your battery failure is concerned, you may have a short causing your battery to drain, when you are not using your mower.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

When you get an opportunity, purchase a can of carburetor cleaner. We can use it to help troubleshoot our problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that what i think but the machinic could not find a short,i guess that does not mean anything
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to go now I will get back later to day
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Okay. Take care. We can continue after you return later.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked the carburetor and the choke closers right, but noticed there's three holes in the flap about 4 to 5 mils each hole which surprised the machanic checking it out, it must come that way from manufacturer. I also had the battery checked and found the crank amps was down to 70 instead of about 300.
we tuned the motor over and there was plenty of fuel coming through, with the new battery the motor started straight away, I will let it stand for a week to see if the battery is draining
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for letting me know.