JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

My Deere SST18 48c stalls when I increase the throttle

Customer Question

My Deere SST18 48c stalls when I increase the throttle and/or engage the cutting blades. I've changed the fuel filter, air filter and drained gas to start with fresh gas. I suspect fuel line may be partially clogged. Tractor sat idle for approx. 3 years before starting up yesterday. I'd appreciate your thoughts. It looks like replacing the fuel line would entail removing the entire chassis, correct?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

HI, my name is***** will be assisting you.

This sounds like you have a partial restriction in the carburetor jet more than a delivery problem. I would remove the bowl from the bottom of the carburetor and thoroughly clean the jets. If you have to replace the fuel line it is a tedious job but can be done without removing the chassis, you just have to be able to work from the underside of the machine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll give that a try tomorrow. Getting at the carburetor on this model s a bit of a challenge as well. I was hoping to avoid that, but your probably right. When I replaced the air filter, I sprayed the carb with carb cleaner since it was pretty sticky and it seemed to loosen up.
As an accountant, this is somewhat outside my comfort zone but I'll give it a try.
Thanks.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Just let me know if you need additional assistance.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.