Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

Error code 47 on 5.5 HGJAD/2138J - had the generator at

Customer Question

error code 47 on 5.5 HGJAD/2138J - had the generator at dealer and he says there is no problem. now wont run and show error code 47 again. and we haven't used it since getting it back yesterday
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

Code 47 is Ignition Fault. There are several things that can cause it, but the 2 most likely causes are a bad controller, or a bad coil.

If you just got it back from a dealer, you really need to get it back to them and let them actually fix it for free.

I also just noticed your spec number. If this unit is still under warranty, you really need to get it to an authorized Onan repair facility.

There are a couple of things you can check, if you have a good digitial multimeter and don't mind doing some disassembly (and it the unit turns out to not be under warranty), but there is also a good chance that the unit will need to go to an Onan shop, where they can use a special tool called a Break Out tool to diagnose this.