Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Curt, here, I am an over the ll mechanic/electrical

Customer Question

Hi, Curt, James here,
I am an over the hill mechanic/electrical inspector, having maintained my equipment for fifty years. I am trying to recycle a 2005 Yard Machine, 13AG601; the engine is a B/S 403677.
Engine worked fine when I bought the unit. The unit cut grass. I changed plugs fuel filter, air filter and added some gas treatment. Operated normally after maintenance. Next day, engine and mower operated normally--for about two minutes. Then the engine died slowly and started smoking up front near the fuel pump and intake manifold. Dark smoke, like oil just before ignition.
Got any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

HI, my name is***** will be assisting you.

A dark colored smoke is normally an indication of an over fueling problem. If it was an oil smoke it would be more of a gray/bluish gray smoke. You might remove the air filter and see how the machine runs with it off.