JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I put on a new coil on a ts700 sthil cutoff saw and the

Customer Question

Customer: I put on a new coil on a ts700 sthil cutoff saw and the ground wire is off, but I still have no spark, it cost me 150 dollars
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the saw came in for not running, I check the compression and it was 120 psi and there was no spark, I remove the ground wire and try again but still no spark, ssso I replaced the coil and not it does not work
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Small Engine Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

What did you set the gap at when installing the new coil? Have you checked the magnet on the flywheel to make sure that it is good?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The flywheel key and magnet are good and I set the coil at .010
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you have checked everything that I would suggest. It is possible that you may have received a bad new coil. That is the only other explanation for it to not be firing. Even if the flywheel key were damaged it should still fire at the plug, it would just be off time. The magnet on the flywheel is the only other thing that would keep it from firing. Since you are not getting spark at the plug I would suggest that you have received a bad coil, there is nothing else that would cause it to not fire to the plug.