Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a craftsman dyt 4000 lawn tractor that needs a shift

Customer Question
spring replaced can someone help...
i have a craftsman dyt 4000 lawn tractor that needs a shift spring replaced can someone help me through it
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
10/9/2015
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 2 years ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

HI, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Can you provide the model and serial number from the frame of your machine so that I can better assist you? Which spring are you needing to replace?

it is the shift spring on my dyt 4000 lawn tractor model no.###-##-####ser. no 062105B003263

You have a hydrostat transmission, is that correct? I need better clarification as to what you are referencing as the shift spring. You have a clutch pedal return spring or a neutral return spring but nothing that I would classify as a shift spring.

it is a hydrostat automatic transmission i have a lever that i push forward for forwars and back to a n for neutral and backwards for reverse no clutch and the spring is connected somewhere on that handle
And the part that sears sent me is called the shift spring part number i think is ***-***-****11
are you still there or should i just forget it, and try somewhere else ??.

Can you tell me what kind of problem that you are having with the machine? I have located what they call a shift spring and the only thing that it does is keeps pressure on the shift lever so that it is not just flopping around loose. I have included a diagram of where it is.

The spring that we are looking at is reference number 82 in the diagram and is at the base of the hydro control lever.

The simplest way to replace that spring is to unscrew the knob from the hydro control lever then you can slide the old spring up and off of the shaft and slide the new spring back down and into place on the shaft and then screw the knob back on.

Right that's the part i don't know where it connects on the lever that was my original question, as to replacing the part on my tractor.. I will try this in a few minutes, if it doesn't work that way then what do i do to fix it??. and i don't want to pay for something that i haven't fixed yet either, if you know what i mean sir.

I understand and we can continue our conversation here at any time. If you need to step away for a moment to take a look or try what I have suggested and then come back feel free to do so. If you want to wait until tomorrow and come back here you can. Again our conversation can be continued at any time. If you need further assistance feel free to ask. I am here to try to help you with this problem.

The two ends of the spring have to be hooked into place, one end just goes around the shaft the other end will catch or hook onto the bracket that the control shaft goes through.

i will go out and see if i can get it done, and thanks i'll let you know how it goes.
I tried to get it connected but i can't seem to find out where it connects too.
there are 2 different loops on the spring and i slipped it back on the same way i took it off, but no luck on how it connects.

One end of the spring just hooks or catches on the bracket that the shaft goes through and the other should hook around the shaft itself. You will need to pull it around to hook it so that it puts some tension on the spring.

i didn't have any luck trying it that way, and they charged my account the full amount. now what do i do

If you are not happy with the suggestions or answer that I have provide you can ask for a refund. I will forward your request to a moderator who will be able to help you with that.

ok i guess that will have to do because i've had no luck getting it on. But thanks for trying to help me.

I have forwarded your refund request to a moderator who should be getting back in touch with you soon.

thank you

No problem, I am sorry that I could not be of more assistance to you.

Hey sometimes things don't always work out.

I appreciate your understanding. Have a great weekend!!!!

Technician: venus-cssm,
 replied 2 years ago
venus-cssm
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. (paste the question link into the response). Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.
JohnF2015
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician