Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a Craftsman LTX 1000...917.272420. It starts

Customer Question

Hello...I have a Craftsman LTX 1000...917.272420. It starts fine...but when I engage the PTO or let out the clutch...engine shuts down. Also, the engine will start without me sitting on the mower as long as the brake is locked down and the PTO is not engaged. Finally...there seems to be no power going to the electric clutch when the PTO is engaged. I've replaced the Operator Presence relay, checked all the grounds, checked all wires for continuity, checked all the safety switches, and checked the PTO switch. BTW, when I disconnect the Operator Presence Relay...the mower starts up and I can drive it around with no problem. That's why I replaced it. Could it be the ignition switch?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** you are still in need of assistance, I will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Our problem very likely lies either in your ignition switch, or your seat safety switch. Keep in mind, that the two green wires, in the wiring connector, that attaches to your seat safety switch, have to have voltage when your seat is occupied, and your ignition switch is on. The voltage to your seat safety switch, is provide via the A1 terminal, on your ignition switch.

• Your Operator Presence Relay get its power from your seat safety switch, when your seat is occupied, and your ignition switch is on.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

First, check to see if you are getting voltage in and out of your seat safety switch wiring connector, (Green Wires). If you are not getting voltage, check for a loose connection from A1 on your ignition switch. If you are getting voltage, jump these two wires together, then give your mower another try.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

If your mower performs satisfactorily with your green wires jumped, then it is likely that your seat safety switch is at fault. Your seat safety switch is a Normally Open Switch. You can check it for continuity. With the button pressed in, you should have continuity.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Without voltage from your seat safety switch, your Operator Presence Relay will close your ground path, and shut your engine down, when you either release your brake, or attempt to engage your blades.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

We can continue from here. Thanks!