Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Gravely 148Z with a 21 hp Kawasaki engine. It will

Customer Question

I have a Gravely 148Z with a 21 hp Kawasaki engine. It will crank but after a few seconds shut down. When cool it may even run a few minutes before shutting down. What is causing that issue?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

I will assume this is the twin engine?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

Engine shuts down for lack of fuel or loss of spark.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

Check twin for oil pressure switch that can kill spark.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

Next check the solenoid in the carburetor. If it does not stay open, it shuts the fuel off to the engine. Best test for it, is to remove it and plug the hole.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

Solenoid has to open as soon as the key is turned on , and has to stay open to keep engine running.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

You can hear the solenoid click when key is turned on. Listen for the click. When engine dies, listen for the click as you turn key on and off. No click, no fuel!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

If this was a single cylinder engine, the coil could be failing. You would lose spark.