JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

Ihave aToro 22 lawn mower which worked hreat until now. I

Customer Question

Ihave aToro 22 lawn mower which worked hreat for years until now. I replaced the spark plug and air filter and yhe problem seems to be electrical. It does not fire at all for the first time in years. Can you give me a hint of what caused this all of a sudden. I dont want to put much money into it.
I will appreciate any help you can give me.
Elaine
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Are you getting spark to the plug? My first thought is that the ignition coil has gone bad.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

This machine looks like it has a Tecumseh engine on it. The ignition coil is part number 34443D and varies in cost depending on where you get it from but it looks like the majority of them are around $40.00 if you stay with an original equipment part rather than aftermarket.

Before I would just go replace it I would check to see if you are in fact getting spark to the plug or not. You can easily do that by removing the plug from the engine, installing it back into the plug wire and grounding it against the block and crank the engine while watching to see if the plug is firing.