Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a k241 Kohler 10 hp engine that runs fine at a idle

Customer Question
but will run for just...
I have a k241 Kohler 10 hp engine that runs fine at a idle but will run for just a little while at full idle just like it runs out of fuel new carb new points new coil new condenser new wire from coil to plug new spark plug I am buffaloed I have been a mechanic for over 40 years and never had something like this stump me
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
9/23/2015
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 2 years ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Does this engine have a fuel pump on it? Have you check fuel level in the bowl when it dies to see if there is even any fuel in the bowl?

no fuel pump it has fuel in carb when it dies I have checked this several times and their is always fuel in the bowl

Approximately how long will it run at full throttle before it dies? Have you checked the fuel tank vent to make sure that you are not creating a vacuum inside the fuel tank that would cause fuel to not flow fast enough to keep the engine running?

once it starts dying its less than a minute it starts right back up and runs at idle rev it up and in just a few seconds it dies again I have checked cap and tank both ok nothing in tank and vent is not plugged causing a vaccum

It just sounds like you have a fuel restriction but based on everything that you say that you have already done I don't see how that could be.

Can you put a spark tester in line between the plug wire and spark plug and see what the spark is doing while the engine is running? It is possible that the spark is not advancing properly at higher throttle, maybe a weak ignition coil.

I have checked spark and it is good I thought the same thing and replaced the coil still have the same problem

To your knowledge has the engine been taken apart recently and put back together, a chance that the internal timing marks were not lined back up correctly when installing or putting back together?

the engine has never been apart
even if that was the case why would it start and run to begin with

If it were one tooth off on internal timing it would still start but at higher speeds the valves would be off time just enough that they would not close fast enough. At slow speeds or idle it isn't as much of a problem.

I am going to opt out of your question which will allow for one of the other experts here to weigh in on your question and maybe provided some other ideas for you.

Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Have you tried to run it out of a raised fuel container? Sounds like the fuel is not keeping up with the needed supply.

Fuel tank is mounted above engine and has good flow of fuel coming out of tank

Exhaust open? Engine has to loose spark or fuel. with it starting right back up, would seem to be fuel! That means the restriction is in the fuel supply or the needle valve and float.

New carb have rechecked float setting and needle valve still does the same thing thanks for all your suggestions but I still have a problem sorry to have wasted your time and my money
if exhaust was open I would think compression would be down and its not

exhaust will not affect compression!

If anything, it will raise the compression!

If exhaust does not get out ,gas can't get in.

if a exhaust vale is burnt or open it will very much effect your compression on any engine I ever worked on and I have been mechanic for over 40 years on lawnmowers chainsaw cars trucks and heavy equipment

That is not the point, the exhaust port would be plugged with carbon, not a bad valve!

Or the exhaust pipe.

exhaust port and pipe are both open if they were plugged my problem would have all ready been solved because I checked that from the start

OK, I cant add anything, I will opt out. sorry.

I will try to figure this out I have not learned any thing more than what I all ready tried and done thanks for trying to help though
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician