Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Deere 112L riding mower. Worked fine last week,

Customer Question
Hi there. I have...
Hi there. I have a John Deere 112L riding mower. Worked fine last week, went to start it today and nothing. Won't turn over, no click, no crank, nothing. Almost like a safety is on. I checked the park brake safety, that is not engaged and the pto is not engaged either. Any idea what the issue could be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
9/20/2015
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Do you have a voltmeter to check the system?

If you follow the positive battery cable to the starter solenoid, can yu jump the battery terminal to the switch terminal?

All I see is a neutral switch for safety switches!

There is a circuit breaker instead of a fuse. It could be open and no voltage past it.

Did you check battery and cables?

I replaced the battery today, and am still having the same issue. So I don't think it's that.Where do I find the circuit breaker?

Did you try jumping the solenoid? The circuit breaker is in the wire from the posiitve side of the starter solenoid. The wire goes from solenoid, to the circuit breaker, to he keyswitch.

Okay with new and old battery hooked up i get 12V with the voltmeter, when I touch the negative to a ground and the positive to the solenoid i get nothing, so does that mean the problem is before there?

You are using jumper cables? Are you putting the cable to the starter side?

Bad cable , posiitve or negative ground, to frame.

Hi sorry, was away from home for a few days, can we pick up where we left off? I have power from the batter, 12V, but no power to the solenoid. What should i look for next?
I am using jumper cables.

Did you check the cables???

Power to solenoid comes direct from battery!

how do i check the cables?
the cables are hooked from the battery to the terminals, the terminals are reading 12v.

Where do you have negative cable going to?

the cables from the battery are connected to the negative and positive terminal on the lawnmower
should it be somewhere else?

Jumper cables on the battery terminals? Put negative jumper on ground to engine.

Okay, so I was looking at the wrong thing, 100% power to solenoid. My bad. What am I looking for next?

Check the neutral start switch. It may be open, killing the start circuit.

okay, how do i do that?

Locate the switch on the transmission and bypass it.

two purple wires to it.

sorry, no clue how to do that

Hold key in start and wiggle the shifter