JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a gravely model 915140 I just replaced the PTO belt

Customer Question

I have a gravely model 915140 I just replaced the PTO belt on it but the blades don't seem to be spinning at full speed .
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Are you certain that the belt is routed properly? This could explain the lack of blade speed if the belt is not routed properly with the proper tension on it.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

Belt configuration is pretty straight forward but I have included a diagram of the way the belt should be routed.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

Are you using an original equipment belt or an aftermarket belt as a replacement? If aftermarket it could be that the belt is slightly too long which would cause the problem as well.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
original equipment, purchased from Gravely dealer
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

If the belt is routed correctly the only other thing that could cause a problem would be if there is excess grass built up under the mower deck or a pulley or deck spindle is not turning freely as it should.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I got called away to take care of something else. No grass build up under mower deck or pulleys, I cleaned it out before installing the new belt
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

Have you checked the pulleys and spindles to make sure that they are all turning freely?