Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a LX 186 Deere riding mower that has very little

Customer Question
I have a LX 186...
I have a LX 186 John Deere riding mower that has very little spark. I have change the pulg,coil,and the switch any ideals on what to do next.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
9/17/2015
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 2 years ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

If you unplug the small wire that goes to the ignition coil and crank the engine do you notice any difference in spark?

no

You have the ignition coil gap set at .010 inches to the flywheel magnet? This could cause a poor or weak spark if it is not set correctly.

i set the gap with a business card the last time, but have set gap from .04 and up.
i forgot i also put on a new igniter

When checking spark, what are you using to check it or how are you checking it?

is it a additioinal $18.00 dollars for the phone call.
i take the plug out and ground it to the motor. does the white wire that goes to the igniter have 12 volts. When i turn the key on should it be hot . everything you have suggestedi have already tried.

No, the white wire going to the igniter should not have voltage on it at any time if is does it will burn out the igniter as well as the ignition coil.

If you would like to talk by phone I can send you an offer which would be less than that but normally yes that is the cost.

just credit my account and i will just move on. i see where this is headed, if i wanted to invest that much money i would take it to John Deere.

We can continue discussion here without the phone call.

just though you mite have deal with this before and have some suggestion, will any of the safety switch kill fire. i took them all out of line but still no fire. The charing system under the fly wheel i dont think has anything to do with it. but something is keeping it from fireing hard enough to start.

No, the charging system will have nothing to do with it firing. It is a totally separate circuit and is only there to recharge the battery.

It is most likely not a safety switch because normally the safety switches would not allow it too fire any at all rather than be a weak spark. If you have replaced the igniter and the ignition coil about the only other thing that it could be is a wire backwards in the system that is partially grounded or shorted out causing a weak spark.

i have cut the hole wiring harness off and check for a grounded wire. i have run it down wire by wire but still no luck. the mower was runing when i pulled it in to put a new deck belt on. after i change the belt and i went to pull it out it wouldn't start. I have took the ground wire off and clean it to make sure it has a good ground.

I am at a loss for anything to recommend, I will opt out of your question and maybe one of the other experts here may have a suggestion for you.

ok, i'll be waiting for their suggestions.
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

What am I missing here? The coil and magnet are all that make the spark. Remove the kill wire from the coil, and check for spark!

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician