Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

Hank Jon here same problem with different results tests

Customer Question

hi Hank
Jon here
same problem with different results for the tests
4KYF26100B-STARTS AND DIES
Between p4-9 &p4-10 = 28 ohms
back probe p4-7 = 13.2V
" " p4-9 = 54V
"" p4-10 = 45V
What next??
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

Hello, thank you for requesting me.

With your meter connected to the AC output leads, how much voltage does the genset put out if you hold the start button to keep the engine running for a few seconds?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
0V AC
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im in Alaska, 8:20 AM now
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

I am in Kentucky - 4 hours ahead of you.

I work 2 day jobs, and help on Just Answer in the evenings.

Although I can not be online 24/7, I am online almost every day.

If you are getting 0 volts output, here is what I need you to do. It is not easy, but it can be done.

Remove the 12-pin VR connector again.

Locate the wires marked J2-9 and J2-10 (or P2-9 and P2-10).

Make up 2 jumper wires, with a 5A fuse installed inline on one of them.

Set your meter to ACV, and connect it to the output leads of the genset.

Working on the right hand side of the plug (that leads back inside the genset), insert the jumper with the fuse into the back of the plug at J2-9 (or P2-9).

Connect the other end of the jumper to either a 12V battery, or the battery terminal of the starter solenoid.

Insert the other jumper into the back of the plug at J2-10 (or P2-10).

While pressing the start button, connect the other end of the second jumper to the negative terminal of your battery, or to a good engine ground if you used the starter solenoid.

Be careful and only hold the insulated part of the wire – you may get a small shock.

How much voltage registers when you jump 12V to it like that?

.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

Have you checked this out yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
0V AC. There was an arc when grounding p10, but no voltage.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Then you likely have a bad stator.

Shut the circuit breaker off, and ohm from the black stator lead (input to the breaker), to a clean ground.

What reading do you get?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not knowing which is which, the terminal towards the back is 342.7 ohms, the one towards the front is .5 ohms. The front is the direction the start switch rocks to start. If it is a bad stator, how much time does it take to change? Does it take any special tools? Where can I get a service manual?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

I can't tell you which side is which. The wire you are looking for will be labeled T1. That is the input side.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have to give me more input!! If I measure T1 and get (?), then (this), If its (?) then its (this). Waiting 15 hours for another question with out the logical progression of diagnosis is infuriating. This customer wants this motorhome by Wendesday
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cant get more than one step at a time...... You have my email address, would you please send me the diagnostic tree for this so I can quit pulling it in and out of the shop! Either that or run this out to the end for the same results. We are a professional shop with top of the line tools, ASE Master tech's, and the ability to complete a thought. Give me a wiring diag. and a trouble tree and I'll fix it. All at once.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Sir, I had informed you on 17 Sep that I work 2 day jobs, and help on Just Answer in the evenings. You knew then that I was not online 24/7 - I physically can't be.

But I didn't know you were in a hurry, as it took you 8 days to get me the results of a test that I asked you about.

I have been replying to you every day that you respond to me.

I have uploaded troubleshooting information for you.

Click here to download it.