Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Onan problems code 13

Customer Question
Onan problems code...
Onan problems code 13
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/13/2015
Technician: TellNoL437, Technician replied 2 years ago
TellNoL437
TellNoL437, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

What size Onan is this?

The Onan control board needs to see proper generator voltage and a 13 code means the generator voltage is too low.

Cause could be a defective voltage regulator, but before you replace it check the condition of the brushes and slip rings that couple the voltage regulator output to the spinning field coil. Look through the cooling slots at the rear of the generator - there are (2) bronze slip rings and they should be clean and shiny, and the brushes that make contact with them should also be in good shape. If they're not, that's the first thing to make right.

If you're not comfortable working around the electrical parts of the generator, let a pro do the work. Otherwise, Flight Systems has an excellent troubleshooting guide on their website, and they also make a nice slip ring cleaning tool.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,
not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.

I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still pay
the website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.

I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow
ups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.

I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will give
you an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

TellNoL437
TellNoL437
TellNoL437, Technician