Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I put that piece on nothing happen.

Hi Donald I put that...
Hi Donald I put that piece on nothing happen.
9/12/2015
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello. The new solenoid did not help?

Nope

Thank you for letting me know. Have you checked to see if your battery is still fully charged?

I dont

All of the test you and I performed, lead to faulty solenoid. At this point, we need to determine if your battery is still okay. Did you double check, to make sure you put your solenoid on correctly?

Well I thought it was just one way that it go but my red light comes on .

Okay. Can you check your battery again? You can also check your battery, by using your screwdriver again, to jump the posts on your solenoid.

Iam not there now.

I will be here all day, if you would like to try later. I read our previous discussion. You stated that you were getting voltage to your solenoid, when in start position. You did confirm that you were getting ground to your solenoid.

If your solenoid is correctly installed ( I believe it is), it should work, unless your battery does not have sufficient charge.

I will go back and check and let you know in about an hour or so.

Very good! Thank you.

I went back done the screwdriver it turned over when I sat on it to turn it over Iam getting a chucking noise.

Can you describe the chucking noise? Do your engine attempt to spin, when you are hearing the chucking noise?

When I turn the key to start it just click it sounds like it's coming from the solenoid.

Are you hearing one click each time you turn your key to start position, or a series of clicks?

yep after each turn of the key

Did you notice a click when your old solenoid was in place?

No I didn't recall

The reason I asked, is because the clicking is an improvement.

the current don't seem like it's not moving to w

The clicking does indicate that your solenoid is being energized. When you are near your mower again, can you check something?

What that it will be Monday.

Use your tester, to check to see if you have voltage on both large red cables, when your key is in start position. Keep in mind that the click you are hearing, is suppose to cause the circuit between your two large red cables, to close, and send voltage to your starter motor.

use the same one that I ck the battery with also do I need to hold the key to start when doing this test?

Yes you are correct. You can use the same tester you used for testing your battery voltage. Your key does need to remain in start position, when you are doing this test.

just need to turn it to start position right don't need to hold it like Iam tying to start it right I have a red wire and a black one how do I test them?

Yes you need to hold it, like you are trying to starting your engine. Check both large red cable at this point.

At the same time what should the meter read 12volts

Check your battery voltage first. Whatever your battery voltage is, your test results should show the same voltage, as your battery.

testing both of these wires are ck for voltage right?

Yes, correct.

Ok I will run the test Monday and tal k you around 5:00 6:00.

Very good! I will look forward to hearing your results. Thanks.

Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Donald
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician