Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have craftsman rider with a 18hp Kohler will nit start

Customer Question

i have craftsman rider with a 18hp Kohler will nit start turns over backfires once in a while stops turning abruptly from time to time. changed the oil, has spark and I believe fuel. can you help?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 2 years ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer. The first thing to check is timing and the valves . The key in the flywheel holds the timing in place , if that key sheared it will knock the timing off

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do I do that?

The engine cover and nut holding the flywheel on would have to be removed so you could see the key , it holds the flywheel in place . You will need a impact gun and large docket most likely

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Which cover? Dose the engine need to be removed?

No the engine can stay on , it's the engine cover , what is the model , family etc numbers on your kohler ? , also check your oil and tell me if it smells like gas etc

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Family- 2KHXS 492GB
Model- CV492S
When the problem first occurred I thought I smelled fuel in the oil, so I changed it.
The plug seems to moisten up quickly. No fuel in oil now.

Fuel in the oil is a symptom of a carburetor issue , is the oil this or watery ?. With the plug out will it turn over ok?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
turns over fine with plug out. the oil has been changed

It definitely sounds like a compression issue , it won't turn smoothly with the plug in , and the backfiring could be the valves not opening on time . , before going through the trouble of inspecting the flywheel key let me get your valve lash clearances and we can check those

OK your kohler has hydraulic lifters so the valves shouldn't need adjusting but a push rod could be bent .

This is your shop manual , section 9 shows how to get to the flywheel and check the timing key