Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
32407143

I bought a Poulan chain saw two months ago and used it hours

Customer Question

I bought a Poulan chain saw two months ago and used it for several hours over the course of a couple of weeks. I think it was the Poulan Pro 18".
It worked fine but then would not rev up to full speed. It would kind of choke. I took out the plug and looked at the fuel filter and then it stopped cranking at all. Is this likely a fuel filter problem?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, is the fuel filter still connected to the line in the tank? When you removed the plug to check it was it black,gray or brown?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess what I want to know is how to diagnose this. What are common issues that cause new chainsaws to stop working? Mostly fuel related? The spark plug is new and looks new. The fuel filter is connected at both ends. I assume it would not come to full rev because of some type of fuel issue.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

If it won't fire on its own remove the air filter and squirt a little carb cleaner directly into the carb. if it fires and quits there's a fuel problem.if it doesn't fire remove plug to see if it's wet.if wet turn switch to off, turn saw plug hole down and pull rpe several times to see if it's flooded and blows gas out. re install plug and try to start-no choke or prime.If it still won;t fire remove plug and look in cylinder for possible scoring, remove muffler if needed.