Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

S 14.5, 287707, snapper rider. Tried to increase rpms with

Customer Question

B&S 14.5, 287707, snapper rider. Tried to increase rpms with govenor, blew exhaust valve.
Replaced head, runs great, no smoke, but the govenor wants to run at 6000 rpms, cant find how to slow it down. Have watched all YOou Tubes. Installed new tappets & everything looks good down there. Govenor shaft has no srewdriver slot
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

Did you go into the engine, and physically looked at the governor?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

Do you get any push/pull from the governor lever and shaft?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

sounds like the internal governor parts are the problem. Either governor, or the arm it has to push.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I hold the govenor shaft with index finger, it will go into a nice idle, but wants to go back to full throttle. Has a very small spring along the gov linkage rod, do they get weak?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

If no push pull from lever, problems internal.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

Will not be spring!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The crankcase was clean, govenor looked fine.
I can push-pull about 1/16th of an inch
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

The push / pull has to come from the governor lever!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

The governor wieghts have to move out, and push the top hat piece of the governor against the inner governor lever. The lever is part of the shaft.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im gonna tie of thegov linkage and try to cut grass. -- I nevr removed the shaft from case & th gov just fell out. When reassembling theres not much you can do to keep ov in place, is there?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

If the governor shaft fell out, it is broken internally.