JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

Gas not getting to, Honda lawn tractor engine. I replaced

Customer Question

gas not getting to carburetor, Honda lawn tractor engine. I replaced the fuel pump and gas is be pumped but not getting to curb. HELP.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

You have fuel to the output side of the fuel pump but it is not pumping from there through the line to the carburetor. Have you checked to make sure that the line is not blocked? How old is the line? Sometimes the fuel lines can come apart internally and a piece of the line get turned in such a way that it will block the line and nothing can pass through it. The fuel pumps on these machines are very low pressure and would not force fuel paste a blockage like that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This happened last week but unexplainably the engine started the next day and ran all day even after multiple stops and starts.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It is possible that the float valve stuck momentarily and would not allow more fuel to enter the carburetor, at which point the fuel pump is a low enough pressure that it would not push the valve open. I have seen this happen several times over my twenty eight years of experience. Has it happened any other times since then?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
JohnIf I've check that the fuel pump is pumping gas to the outlet hose and at the same time have had the gas line disconnect from the carburetor and no gas has come through the line, your idea about the gas line must be right; correct? The line is at least 20 years old.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

I would try replacing that fuel line and see what happens. You can always hook a new line to the fuel pump and leave it off at the carburetor and see if you get fuel through it when cranking the engine. Just an easy way to check for flow coming to the carburetor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do. Thanks John
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.