JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a toro titan mx 4880 zero turn and when I engage the

Customer Question

i have a toro titan mx 4880 zero turn and when I engage the pto it throws the deck spring off as well as the belt, any ideas, my mower is three years old.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

Does the deck spindles and pulleys all turn free when belt is off?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

At what rpm are you engaging the PTO? Are you at full throttle, half throttle? Does it seem to make a difference?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Usually half speed.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

And it still throws the belt and spring at half throttle?

It sounds like the blades or an idler pulley are not spinning freely which is causing you to throw the belt, the spring coming off is a result of the belt coming off first. When you engage the PTO if the blades or pulleys aren't spinning freely it will cause such a load on the belt that it will overextend the spring and flip the belt off, when the belt comes of it does so in a way that the spring then will come off. I am going to recommend going back and checking the idler pulleys and deck spindles to make sure that they are all turning freely. Are you running heavy duty wide blades on the machine? Are you mulching with the machine?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Using regular blades. I will recheck the pulleys.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

That's where I would start at. I have seen this same thing happen if you are engaging the PTO at full throttle but according to your information that should not be the case. You indicated that you installed a new belt is it an original equipment belt or an aftermarket belt?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Original belt
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

It was just a thought, sometimes aftermarket belts are not an exact match to the original and can cause problems.

I would take a close look at the pulleys and spindles to be sure that they all turn freely.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If the pulley's are not turning freely what would be the fix for that?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

If it is an idler pulley then you would have to replace the pulley it will come with bearing made into it. If it is one of the deck spindles then you can either tear the spindle apart and replace just the bearings or you can replace the complete spindle as an assembly.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks so much. You have been very helpful?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

It has been a pleasure to assist you.