Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a zero turn rtz mower 2003 50 in the thing has been…

Customer Question
I have a zero turn...
I have a zero turn rtz mower 2003 50 in the thing has been carried to the shop 3 times still not fixed replaced, pto switch,the belt replaced box PTO switch goes into paid 250 for all repairs, took cltch off check no wear put it back on.the 2 times before I left brought home worked 15 minutes and guit again now I just got back with it again and it want the PTO want engage...I may be wrong but could it be a short somewhere, when the replaced the wiring box that hooksvinto PTO they said some corrosion, they also said fuse was real hot too...now what could it be...now there saying probably new cltch is needed
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/24/2015
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Clutch should pull no more than 5 amps. It sounds like it very well can be the problem. But what is the full model umber?

Some models have a relay, we need to be sure that your's does not!

There confused at the mower shop. The fuse was getting hot that's a problem to so would it be in the wiring of corrosion man this has been a great mower they'd like to sell me a new one but I don't want to make payments...its at a cub cadet dealer too.in Valdosta Ga at Powells outdoor power equipment....The mechanic is just uncertain the problem I hate to buy new clutch if in wiring, yanno?
Did ya get my info you requested?

Yes, looking at model, there is no relay. Just the switch direct to the clutch. Mechanic should be able to check the amp draw to the clutch. If over 5 amps, the clutch is bad!

OK o just don't want to be ripped of. Sorry but the owner of the shop said he personally looked at the clutch and it was looked in excellent shape... I also had the PTO switch replaced too....

Clutch can look new, but if it pulls too many amps will not function!

All right sir would it be feasible. That will cost me 300 plus for a clutch but if I have it done and it still don't work after the fourth visit there I'm then gonna be upset....thanks for your help sir...will that make the fuse be very hot...

Yes, high amp draw will make fuse hot.

Thank you I shall share that with them tomorrow...when I take it back to them..Thanks for your help that's all I wanted was a 2nd opinion...Have a blessed day....

Thank you!