JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a 2002 Snapper 281022BE 10 HP rear engine mower. The

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Snapper 281022BE 10 HP rear engine mower. The brake cable (7- 1909) broke and I replaced it, but the clamp fell off where it clamps to the clutch cable (2-2449?). I found the clamp, but where does it go? It also doesn't camp the cables because the holes are too big. I have looked at the parts manual and I don't appear to be missing any parts. Any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Give me a moment and I will let you know where that should attach.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It does not clamp down tight to the cables. There should be a ferrule on the clutch cable near the rear end of the cable, this clamp just fits around the clutch cable and brake cable and get tightened down, all it is there for is to hold the two cables together so that when you press the clutch pedal all the way down it engages the brake.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That won't work. The brake cable is at least 6 inches longer than where the ferrule is on the clutch cable. I already tried to attach there and the "clamp" slides and does not pull the brake cable. You can't attach the clamp ant further up because that would be inside the body tube.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Do you have both ends of the brake cable housing installed in the retainer brackets? This is the only thing that I see that might cause you cable to be too long.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cable snaps in a plate on the end toward the clutch cable and has two nuts that lock it to a plate on the other end where it should pull for the brake. The end that snaps in comes out and is still very long near the clutch cable.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

One end of your cable should have a black plastic piece, spring and cotter pin on it. You would have to remove it from the old cable and transfer it over to the new cable. Do you have that in place?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the cable because the black plastic piece was missing and the Snapper dealer said I can't buy just that piece. Both cables are the same length so that isn't the problem. I just need to figure out how to attach the clamp that doesn't clamp so it will put on the brakes when I step on the brake pedal.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

If the black plastic is not attached in the right place it will cause the brake cable to be too long to work properly with the clutch cable. The black plastic attaches to the brake lever on the drive assembly.

I am sorry that I am not able to help you any further. I will opt out of your question and maybe one of the other experts here can be of more assistance to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It can't be attached anywhere else because the cotter pin prevents it from moving down any further.