Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

After replacing the battery on a Deer L120 it needed

Customer Question
After replacing the battery on...
After replacing the battery on a John Deer L120 it needed charged,but my charger would buzz loudly for a few seconds @7Amps then stop. It continued this until I noticed how Hot the charger was getting,unplugged it.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
8/19/2015
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 2 years ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
Did you double check, to make sure have the correct cable on your charger attached to the correct post on your battery?
I did what you suggested,nothing happened,switched to a heavier extension cord,so far so good but it's not fully charged.I still have the problem of losing charge on a new battery after 4 hours of use with headlights off.

Thank you so much for this information. Your battery could be discharging after 4 hours, due to your charging system not working properly.

Do you have a manual pto, or an electric pto clutch?

New electric PTO @30 hours

Your pto clutch is draining your new battery, because your charging system is not working properly.

what should be checked next?

Either your rectifier regulator, or your stator/alternator is at fault.

What are the make and model numbers for your engine?

I have a Fluke voltmeter, but I only have a basic knowledge of it's uses, is this something I can diagnose on my own? I don't have the funds to just throw money at it. 20HP Briggs and Stratton INTEK V-twin. I hope that's the info you need . if you need serial #'s I'll have to wait till I can see.

Would you like to test your stator tonight, or in the morning?

Tomorrow, thank you Donald,I'll probably have to order some parts, but I hate to have parts I don't need.
This is why I would like to troubleshoot our problem first. This way you will only purchase the parts you actually need. I will work with you tomorrow.
Thank You
You are very welcome!